Pages

11/16/2011

There and back again, Pt. I

Hi all,

it's that time again!
It's also a "special time", because I'm now officially in my last month. Many people have asked me how I feel about that, it's a mixed feeling. On one hand it's of course phenomenal to see so many places, on the other hand I'm really yearning for mz own bed and that good ol' "I know exactly what happens tomorrow" feeling. I certainly think this trip has cured my travel bug quite effectively for a while :)

So, I am now in Queenstown, NZ, where I have set up camp for several days now. With all the flying and going-on-bus-trips etc. I realized I could need a break, and there's no better place than Queenstown. Like, seriously, it's outrageous here. I stepped out of the plane and was greeted with an enormous mountain range to my left, overlooking the tarmac. Queenstown itself is set at a huge lake, so add that to the mountain range, and you can imagine the beauty of it.
Initially I was going to get some camping equipment and drive from camping spot to camping spot, but so far I've been staying in a hotel. It goes down below freezing each night, so that put a damper on the whole thing. Camping is fun, but freezing, eh.

So, as said, I used Queenstown as my home base for the last few days, and have done day trips with my trusty rental car so far. Sooooo worth it to drive yourself, I hate that feeling of sitting in the bus and wanting to stop for a picture break, but the driver just keeps on going. Which however also means whatever your GPS tells you the expected arrival time is, never works.
It also meant that on one day trip of mine I had to turn around halfway. I was trying to get from Queenstown to Milford Sound (which looks reasonably close on the map), but the fact that the street hugged the mountains (left-right-left-right) and the myriad camera breaks I took, meant I kinda blew my schedule of arriving for the last cruise boat along Milford Sound. So, I turned around and took even more pictures :)
Check out the pics in the album, they are incredible. It's one of those few places on earth where you stop and think "OMFG, this is the most beautiful place ever!!", and then you drive for another 5 minutes, only to revert your previous statement because it got even better. If you haven't booked your ticket by the time you're reading this line, you're doing it wrong.

Ok, so, now to the post title. Many probably thought "Jeez Louise, another Lord of the Rings reference. Will it ever stop with NZ?", but hey, at least I got a story to tell!
So, yesterday I drove to a town called Glenorchy, where a lot of LOTR was shot. I heard the views were great in that town, and indeed they were! But, it was more of a 5 minute thing. There was one spot with the clearly best view, and then you were done.
So I asked a woman in the local convenience store what I could do from here. She suggested to drive to the beginning of Routeburn Track, as that would be quite scenic. She only had one map left, so I had to take a photo of it with my cellphone.
Either way, I hadn't looked hard enough at the map, and ended up missing the crucial left-turn. So, I was driving at some point on gravel road (poor rental car, but I was warned that would be the road conditions), with no soul to be seen anywhere. 20 minutes later, after winding myself through a small forest, there was a clearing, and there's trucks and machinery to the right! I assumed this might be a place called "Kinloch" that I had seen on the map. But, the view was magnificent and I stopped to take a picture.
2 minutes later a car drives slowly up to me.

Driver: "Cheers mate. Are you EZ?"
Me: "Sorry?"
Driver: "Are you EZ? From the film crew?"
Me: "No, sorry."

Another 2 minutes later, a pickup truck comes up, slows down, with a Maori-descent guy in it.

Driver: "Are you alright?"
Me: "Yeah, thanks for asking. I'm just trying to figure out where I am on the map."
Driver: "Ok. (looks at me in an unbelieving way) Well, you can't take pictures around here, ok?"
Me: "Err, ok. Thanks."

I had heard of the Maori not liking to have pictures taken of certain things including mountains, and the guy was Maori, so I wrote it off as that. I was somewhat scratching my head why a ranger would have "Security" written on the side of his car though.
So I drive on, and suddenly there's this big fenced-off area, with a guarded gate and stuff. And in the back there's this wooden house with a stone chimney.

And finaaaaaallllllyyy it clicks. This is the film-shoot of The Hobbit!

Of course I took pictures, but all in "drive-by" style to not make it obvious I was doing it. I later on returned to Glenorchy and talked to the convenience store woman again, who confirmed that it was indeed the film shoot. She also said that I was incredibly lucky. Usually the whole place it covered with tarps, and when they do the actual shooting they don't let anyone near the place, not even locals. This was one day before the shooting officially begins there, and maybe them expecting people (like EZ) made the security a bit more porous than usual.
For the LOTR connoisseurs, the house is in fact Beorn's house, the shape-shifter where Bilbo and company take rest.

So much for the exciting story! The plan for the next few days is to drive up to Milford Sound once more (this time staying at a place close-by), and then a few days later make my way up the west coast of the Southern Island, past Franz Josef Glacier and Abel Tasman National Park.

( direct photo link )


Cheers,
Ralf

----------------------------------- Deutsch ---------------------------

Hallo alle,

mal wieder Zeit!
Es ist auch "besondere" Zeit, weil ich mittlerweile im letzten Monat meiner Reise bin. Mehrere Leute haben mich gefragt was ich darüber denke, ist halt gemischte Gefühle. Auf der einen Seite ist es natürlich Klasse ständig neue Orte zu sehen, auf der anderen Seite sehne ich mich schon nach meinem eigenen Bett und die Gewissheit genau zu wissen, was morgen passiert. Dieser Trip hat auf jeden Fall meinen "Travel Bug" gestillt für ne Weile :)

Ich bin also seit den letzten paar Tagen in Queenstown, Neuseeland. Mit all den Bustouren und Fliegen dachte ich ne Pause wäre mal nicht schlecht, und es gibt echt keinen besseren Platz dafür als Queenstown. Ist echt unglaublich hier, man steigt aus dem Flugzeug, und links ist direkt ein riesiger Bergzug, der über die Runway guckt. Queenstown selber liegt an einem See, das kommt dann noch dazu.
Erst wollte ich ja Campingausrüstung geliehen haben um überall zu campen, aber das geht hier noch auf unter Null runter während der Nacht, deswegen war ich bis jetzt in Hotels. Camping ist klasse, Arsch abfrieren nicht so.

Wie gesagt, Queenstown ist also meine Ausgangsstation, und in den letzten paar Tagen habe ich dann Tagestrips in die Umgebung unternommen mit meinem Mietauto. Sooooooo viel besser selber zu fahren. Es gibt nichts ätzenderes als im Bus zu sitzen und auf ne Kamerapause zu hoffen, und der Fahrer brettert einfach durch. Heisst allerdings auch daß das Navi nicht zu trauen ist mit der Ankunftszeit :)

Hieß allerdings auch, daß ich an einem Tag auf der Hälfte umdrehen musste. Ich war auf dem Weg nach Milford Sound (welches relativ nah auf der Karte aussieht), und mit den tausenden Kamerastops die ich gemacht habe war dann keine Chance mehr, das letzt Boot über den Milford Sound zu bekommen. Hab ich halt umgedreht und auf dem Rückweg noch mehr Fotos gemacht!
Die Fotos im Album sind echt unglaublich. Hier ist eine dieser seltenen Orte wo man denkt "Ohmeingott, das ist der schönste Ort auf Erden", und dann fährt man 5 Minuten und muss das Statement zurücknehmen. Wer an diesem Punkt sein Ticket noch nicht gebucht hat, macht was falsch.

So, jetzt zum Post-Titel ("Hin und Zurück"). Viele denken wahrscheinlich "Ach Gott, noch ne Herr der Ringe Anspielung. Wann hören die endlich auf?!"), aber ich hab wenigstens ne Geschichte!
Gestern hab ich mich auf den Weg nach Glenorchy gemacht, wo viel von HdR gefilmt wurde. Ich las halt daß die Gegend superschön sei, und das waren sie auch! Aber, war mehr ne Sache von 5 Minuten. Die best Aussicht in Glenorchy war schnell gefunden, und das war´s dann. Ich hab dann die Frau im Supermarkt gefragt, was ich denn sonst noch machen könnte, und sie empfahl zum Routeburn Track (ein Wanderweg) zu fahren. Sie hatte nur noch eine Karte, deswegen musste ich ein Foto mit dem Handy machen.
Wie dem auch sei, irgendwann hab ich´s verpasst nach links abzubiegen. Irgendwann wurde die Straße dann Schotter (mein armes Mietauto, aber über die Straßenbedingungen wurde ich gewarnt), und keine Seele mehr zu sehen. 20 Minute später, nach nem kleinen Wald, kam dann ne Lichtung, und auch einmal Trucks und Bagger und so! Ich ging davon aus das sei ein kleines Dorf namens "Kinloch" das ich auf der Karte gesehen hatte. Aber, die Aussicht war super, deswegen bin ich angehalten und hab Fotos gemacht.
2 Minuten später hält ein Auto an.

Fahrer: "Cheers mate. Bist du EZ?"
Ich: "Wie bitte?"
Fahrer: "Bist du EZ? Von der Filmcrew?"
Ich: "Nee."

Weitere 2 Minuten später hält ein Pickup Truck an, mit nem Maori (Einheimischen Neuseelands) drin.

Fahrer: "Alles klar bei dir?"
Ich: "Ja, danke der Nachfrage. Ich versuch nur gerade rauszufinden wo ich genau bin auf der Karte."
Fahrer: "Ok. (guckt ungläubig) Egal, du kannst hier aber keine Fotos machen, ok?"
Ich: "Äh, alles klar."

Ich hatte davon gehört, daß Maori keine Fotos gemacht haben wollen von gewissen Orten, und der Typ war Maori, von daher dachte ich nichts dabei. Fand ich nur seltsam, daß ein Parkwächter "Security" auf seinem Wagen hatte.
Ich fahr also weiter, und auf einmal komm ich an einem großes abgezäunten Areal an, mit nem bewachten Schlagbaum und so. Und hinten drin ist ein Holzhaus mit Steinkamin.

Und endlich fällt der Groschen. Das ist wo die den Kleinen Hobbit filmen!

Natürlich hab ich Fotos gemacht (im Vorbeifahren, damit´s nicht offensichtlich ist). Auf dem Rückweg hab ich noch mal die Frau im Supermarkt gesprochen und sie bestätigte, daß es der Filmshoot vom Kleinen Hobbit. Sie meinte auch, daß ich sehr viel Glück gehabt hab. Normalerweise ist alles mit Planen abgedeckt, und an den Tagen and denen die filmen wird alles abgeblockt, noch nicht mal die Bewohner können da dran. Dies war jetzt einen Tag vor Beginn des Filmes, und vielleicht lag´s daran, daß sie Leute erwarteten daß ich durchgelassen wurde.
Für die Kenner vom Kleinen Hobbit, das Haus ist Beorns Haus, in dem Bilbo übernachtet.

So viel zu der Story! Der Plan für die nächsten Tage ist nochmal nach Milford Sound zu fahren (dieses Mal werde ich in der Nähe übernachten), und dann ein paar Tage später an der Westküste entlangzufahren, am Franz-Josef-Gletscher und dem Abel Tasman-Park vorbei.


Bis denne,
Ralf

4 comments:

  1. Oh, you're killing me buddy...so many great memories of that place. You should NOT miss kayaking in the Doubtful Sound, or, since you're going to Abel Tasman, you should do a 2-3 day kayaking trip there. Have a blast man! See you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can not imagine how I envy you right now....I am as green as spinach

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Matt: Looks doubtful for any kayaking because of the weather (rain coming up). So, instead I booked a boat cruise in Milford Sound. Besides, I've already kayaked between icebergs in Alaska :)
    Abel Tasman is currently 50/50 because I don't know whether I will get up there in time. I have to drop off the car in Christchurch on the 26th, and there's two glaciers on the way I want to see.

    ReplyDelete