Pages

9/23/2011

Trials and malaria-ulations


Hi everybody,

quick check-in!
Last night I covered yet another 2.5 hours of time zoning (which in my case usually translates into real-life zoning-out too because of the overnight flights), arriving in Hong Kong, and bringing it up to a total of 12 hours from Boston! Make it easy to calculate at least, and it of course means now that I'm on the exact opposite of the globe. I will jump up and down a few times, let me know whether you guys feel anything in a few hours!
As some of you know, I will have a traveling buddy the day after tomorrow, and I'm excited! Seth is flying in, and we will then proceed to taste the local cuisine for the next 3 weeks, slowly working our way up north to Beijing (where we will split again, him returning to Boston, me going on to Tokyo).
HK is very cool so far I have to say. It's the hustle and bustle you would expect of a city that survives by trading, and it's all very clean and nice. Nobody has bugged me about money yet (yay!), the girls are pretty, and the food looks very tempting everywhere. Besides some very basic precautions (don't eat street food that's been lying outside for hours) word on the street is you can east just about anything here.

With all that prefacing you'd think I'd dive right into the world of dumplings, water kress, chicken feet and dog parts. Not so! I had resolved for at least a week to get a blood-dripping steak or burger, one of the two. Sorry for the Hindu readers, but boy have I craved some good red meat for the last month. Chicken tastes like ... well, chicken, it just doesn't have the bovine bodaciousness a burger has. Basta. I already spotted an Outback Steakhouse, that'll be my dinner destination tonight.

Speaking of food, it is quite amazing that in those 4 weeks in India I did not have the Delhi Belly! Everyone I've talked to on my travels had some harrowing story to share, most of them being wrapped around the toilet bowl in fetal position for 4 days usually, totally out of commission. I even met a guy from Oregon who was so paranoid about the Delhi Belly that he resolved to eat nothing but french fries and soda during the week he was there. Despite being so cautious about food though he had not even checked with his doctor what infectious diseases are out there in India. Once I told him about malaria in Delhi, he got even more paranoid, I don't think he's gonna see anything but the inside of his cab and the fertility clinic he came for (he's dropping off his sperm for an Indian surrogate mother, really bizarre story)

Whiiiiiicch ... brings me to the post title!
No, I don't have malaria, don't be concerned. And I want to keep it that way! Which however got me into the annoying quagmire that I was running out of my medication now, because India doesn't sell the particular one I was using (Malarone). Long story short, after several Skype calls with my nurse in Somerville I switched over to another medication (Doxycycline). Which however fucks up your stomach like nothing else. My flight yesterday night was seriously marred by constant heartburn, and when I took the next pill this morning it came back out about 10 minutes later. I was seriously considering just chancing it, i.e. discontinuing the medicine and then continue when Seth brings me the backup supply of Malarone.
But, I'm not in India anymore I realized! So, today was mostly spent going to pharmacies, then to a doctor (I just picked a random one, and got lucky), and then to the local hospital to pick up the pills, all for a grand total of 4 (read: four) pills. Doesn't matter, it'll bridge the gap until Seth arrives, I am no longer destroying my stomach lining, and I've certainly spent money on far more inane stuff on my trip than this.
So, despite of the above, a happy post from Hong Kong! I am having a great time, the weather was distinctly cooler than India, and it's really nice to be in a shopping mecca again.

A few pics of Goa:
( direct photo link )


Cheers,
Ralf

---------------------------- Deutsch --------------------------------

Hallo alle,

kurzes Checkin!
Ich hab gestern weitere 2,5 Stunden Zeitverzögerung hinter mich gebracht, mit dem Zielflughafen Hong Kong, womit ich mittlerweile dann 12 Stunden hinter Boston bin! Machts wenigstens einfach die Boston-Zeit zu berechnen, und heisst natürlich daß ich genau auf der anderen Seite des Globus sitze. Ich hab darüber nachgedacht mal hochzuspringen, um zu sehen ob die Leute in Boston ein paar Stunden später was merken :)
Wie einige hier wissen, werde ich in 2 Tagen einen Reisegefährten haben! Seth kommt hier an, und dann werden die lokale Küche hier austesten, langsam unseren Weg nach Peking arbeitend (wo Seth dann wieder zurück nach Boston fliegt, und ich weiter nach Tokyo).
Hong Kong ist ziemlich Klasse von dem, was ich bis jetzt gesehen habe. Sehr viel los, aber das ist zu erwarten von ner Stadt die durch Handel überlebt. Aber, alles schön und sauber. Keiner hat mich bis jetzt um Geld angehauen, die Mädels sind nett anzuschauen, und das Essen sieht lecker aus. Und abgsehen von sehr rudimentären Massnahmen (keine Essen auf der Straße kaufen das aussieht, als ob es da schon seit Stunden war), kann man aber wohl alles essen hier.

Mit dem langen Vorwort wäre zu erwarten, daß ich mich direkt in die Welt der chinesischen Knödel, Wasserkresse, Hühnerfüße und Hundeteilen stürze. Mitnichten! Ich hatte mir schon seit ner Woche vorgenommen, sobald ich ankomme, entweder ein Steak oder einen Burger zu essen. Immer nur Hühnchen geht nämlich nach ner Zeit ganz schön auf den Sack. Ich hab schon ein Steakhaus ausfindig gemacht, da werde ich heute abend hin.

Sprichwort Essen, unglaublicherweise habe ich in den ganzen 4 Wochen nicht einen einzigen Fall des "Delhi Belly" gehabt! Jeder Reisende mit dem ich gesprochen habe hatte irgendeine Horrostory, wo sie für 4 Tage außer Gefecht waren, 10cm entfernt vom Klo. Ich hab sogar nen Typen aus Oregon kennegelernt der so paranoid über den Delhi Belly war, daß er sich vorgenommen hat nur Fritten und Cola zu sich zu nehmen. Aber natürlich hatte er sich nicht darüber informiert, welche ansteckenden Krankheiten es gibt in Indien! Als ich ihm über Malaria erzählt habe hat er dann völlig Panik bekommen. Ich glaube der wird in der Woche nichts anderes sehen als sein Taxi und das Innere der Befruchtungsklinik für die er hier ist (um sein Sperma abzuliefern).

Welches mich zum Posttitel bringt! Nein, keine Angst, ich hab kein Malaria, aber ich hätte auch ganz gerne, daß es so bleibt. Dummerweise lief das jetzt darauf hinaus, daß ich keine Pillen mehr übrig hatte, weil Indien das Medikament (Malarone) auch nicht verkauft. Ich hab dann nach mehreren Anrufen mit der Arzthelferin in Boston den Plan erstellt, daß ich auf ein anderes Medikament (Doxycyclin) schwenke bis Seth kommt mit dem Malaron-Nachschub. Ja, Scheiße, Doxycycline runiniert dir völlig den Magen. Im Flug gestern hatte ich Sodbrennen wie Sau, und als ich heute morgen die nächste Pille genommen hab kam die nach 10 Minuten wieder raus. Ich hab echt darüber nachgedacht, einfach das Medikament nicht mehr weiter zu nehmen, und dann wenn Seth kommt mit dem Nachschub, weiterzumachen.
Aber, ich bin ja nicht mehr in Indien! Ich bin also heute erst zu Pharmazien gerannt, dann zu nem Doktor (hab einfach einen ausgesucht, und war auch direkt der richtige), unn dann zum Krankenhaus weil die die einzigen waren, die das überhaupt hatte. Der ganze Krampf dann für 4 (!) Pillen. Egal, reicht bis Seth kommt, und ich hab schon Geld für weitaus blödere Sachen ausgegeben auf meiner Reise.
Aber, obwohl das alles recht negativ klingt, ist Hong Kong echt Klasse. Das Wetter ist ganz gut (nicht so schwül wie Indien), und ist mal nett wieder in nem Shopping-Mekka zu sein.

Ein paar Bilder von Goa:



Bis denne,
Ralf

No comments:

Post a Comment