Pages

8/25/2011

I am a traveler of both time and space

".. to be where I have been
To sit with elders of the gentle race, this world has seldom seen"

Hello everybody, first post from India!
I arrived yesterday morning in Delhi, got picked up from the airport to my hotel and ... boy, that hotel was quite something. I mean, I'm no picky traveller, but this was really a hole-in-the-wall hotel tucked away in a tiny (not-so-nice, graphic details available on request :) side street of Delhi. Either way, I collapsed in my bed (overnight flight from Amman = no sleep), but still was rather grossed out by the whole thing.
Well, the first thing I learned by the hotel receptionist was that, had I wanted to get on any train, I should have planned that weeks in advance. So, the only way of getting to places was to go through a tour company (a Swiss girl I met randomly confirmed this, so I didn't feel to bad about going to the tour company).
Well, long story short, I am now on a trip (got even put into a new hotel on the same day!) with several different stops through India. My wallet wept deep tears at the price tag, but I bit the bullet; I didn't want to have to say "yeah, I went to India and all I got was this lousy Delhi shirt!" at the end.
So, yesterday was Delhi exploration day then. I have to admit that I have not yet seen the Indian head wobble, but I'm looking, I'm looking. Interesting that I have seen the Kingfisher bird before I have seen the head wobble.
One of the things I saw I just had to take a video of (sound is important):


and here are the other pics I took on that day



Today then was the first real stop of the trip, another flight away. Where am I? The savy music afficiando will have recognized the location from the lyrics in the post title! (if you still don't know, Google is your friend :)
The exact place is called Srinagar and to say it with the words of the Old Spice guy: I'm on a boat. That is, my stay is really on a "house boat" on the lake. See the pictures again for shots of it. It's quite cool, even though I always somehow imagine it's moving, when it's actually not.
Now, on a quick sidenote, Miriam was eternally jealous that I was going to Nepal before her. Well, she got off lucky, because apparently Nepal has been dumped on by rain lately and several (independent) people told me to rather stay away (including one girl who had just been there).
But, I strive to replace that envy with now one, so I'm going on a 3-day hike through the (Indian) Himalayas now. Not shabby either I think!
THAT however also means you won't hear an update until I get to my next internet spot, which might be the houseboat again on the 29th, but also might be later (after that I'm flying to Delhi).

Pics of today:



Until then,
Ralf

---------------------------- Deutsch -------------------------

Hallo ihr Deutschen,

erstes Post aus Indien! Bin gestern angekommen in Delhi, wurde schön abgeholt vom Flughafen und dann zum Hotel gekarrt ... und Mann, das Hotel was echt was. Ich stell mich ja nicht viel an, aber der Laden war ein Loch in der Wand, versteckt in einer kleinen Seitengasse die nicht so schön war (genaue Details nur auf Anfrage :) Bin zwar im Bett direkt eingepennt (Übernachtflug von Amman = kein Schlaf), war aber schon ziemlich eklig.
Naja, das erste daß ich erfahren hab dann vom Hotelrezeptionist is daß meine Hoffnungen auf Züge wohl nicht so funktionieren würde; die muss man Wochen im Voraus buchen. Die einzige Möglichkeit gewisse Orte zu sehen ging also nur über ne Tour, und da hab ich mich breitschlagen lassen. Mein Portmonnaie fand das eher unlustig, aber wie oft werde ich schon in Indien sein! Nebeneffekt war dann, daß ich ein neues Hotel verlegt wurde, was um einiges angenehmer war.

Der Rest des gestrigen Tages war dann Delhi-Erkundungstour. Ich hab bis jetzt noch nicht diese urige Kopfbewegung der Inder gesehen von der alle immer reden, ich bin aber auf der Ausschau. Ist schon interessant daß ich den Kingfisher (Indiens bekanntester Vogel) vor der Kopfbewegung gesehen hab.
Hier ein Video daß die deutschen Zuschauer ggf. nicht unbedingt raffen werden:


und hier sind die anderen Fotos an dem Tag:


Heute war dann der erste Stop der Tour (musste wieder fliegen). Wo bin ich jetzt? Der Post-Title verrätst, wer´s nicht kennt kann ja googlen :)
Der genaue Ort heißt Srinagar, und ... ich bin auf nem Boot. Also, ein richtiges Hausboot. Ist ziemlich cool obwohl ich immer das Gefühl habe daß sich das Boot bewegt, obwohl es das gar nicht tut.

Nebenbei bemerkt, Miriam war immer elendig neidisch, daß ich vor ihr in Nepal sein würde. Hat sie Glück gehabt, denn daraus wird nichts. Mehrere Leute haben mir an´s Herz gelegt da nicht hinzugehen (unter anderem ein Mädchen das gerade erst da war), weil die wohl zur Zeit sintflutartige Regenfälle da haben. Aber, damit Miriam neidisch bleibt, geh ich morgen auf ne 3-tägige Wanderung durch das Himalaya-Gebirge. Auch nicht schlecht!
DAS heisst allerdings auch daß ich keinen Internetzugang haben werde bis ich wieder zurückkomme (29.), oder sogar noch danach (ich fliege am 30. wieder zurück nach Delhi). Also keine Panik bekommen wenn Emails nicht beantwortet werden in dem Zeitraum.

Bilder von heute:



Bis denne,
Ralf

No comments:

Post a Comment